Pages

1/22/13

Karl Linn

I searched "landscape architecture social justice" and got:

Karl Linn.

Similar last name, similar path. Here is a 206-page transcript overviewing his life's work. 

Rubens: So tell me more about your birth and early childhood.

Linn: I was born in 1923... 

I grew up in the incredibly beautiful environment of the Immenhof, which lives on most vividly in my childhood memories as a sensual world of beauty, taste, and scent. I felt deeply connected and at home there. In springtime, a vast orchard of two thousand fruit trees blossomed into snowdrifts of masses of white and pink flowers framed by a blue sky sparkling in bright sunlight. In the summer, the ripe sweetness of cherries, plums and berries tempted me to eat until I had no appetite for meals. So that’s where I grew up. My deepest roots are there at the Immenhof. I can close my eyes and instantly call up a vivid memory of my mother and sister working with other women, tilling the earth, propagating, pruning, spraying fruit trees, harvesting, packaging, shipping, and preserving fruits, and caring for animals. My family’s daily life, recreation, and celebration reflected the rhythm of the changing seasons and gave formal cadence to the days of my childhood.

Rubens: She literally worked? You would see her on the land, pruning— 

Linn: Everybody worked, yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment