Pages

4/28/11

Week 3

ANALOGIES Ecological Horticulture:Social Processes

pruning:tree as revising:budget

bacteria:soil as resident:neighborhood

surface area:cation exchange as human exposure:social interaction

Into week three. I'm constantly struck by how analogous concepts specific to ecological horticulture can be to non-plant-related situations. I get the feeling that ecological horticulture is a pretty poem about life. Maybe because I'm personally trying to organize my thoughts about the 'larger picture' and my purpose in the context of what I know. Maybe because, like gravity, these processes have a way of ruling our lives. Most likely it's because I live on a farm and I love it!

Here's a list of some skills I've been practicing (so that I don't forget): HOW TO construct & turn a 5' x 5' x 4' compost pile/initiate a bee hive/side fork, single dig, and double dig, to prepare French intensive raised beds/select and plant raspberry & blackberry stock/deal with yellow bushy dwarf virus/transplant cut flowers/select, plant, and shape apple trees/transplant peppers/choose mechanical tillage implements/select cover crop mixes/manually incorporate cover crops/make sauerkraut.

I've also been working on some sketching that I'd like to ramp up. I'll post some pictures of all of the above as soon as I stop being lazy.

1 comment: