Pages

12/13/16

Caffe Med is Closed

It's hard to hear that Caffe Med is closed. It was a place in Berkeley I could go alone and feel comfortable. Nothing about it was polished or clean, which was the relief I got from it. Every surface of every thing and person there was etched and scratched and stained so that there was texture. The floors had a faint smell of being always dirty, like an olfactory history for the subconscious side. And so a person never felt judged there and could just write or sit or talk without needing to examine their self worth. Any unwanted person could enter and stay. The cookies were a dollar. And a pancake was a dollar in the year 2016. Caffe Med was where I wrote most my academic work, and so I'm glad I got to be there and benefit from its magic, have it in memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment