Pages

9/23/12

Spider eats Paper Tigers

ARTICLE Paper Tigers by Wesley Yang in New York Magazine

I just finished reading 'Paper Tigers,' by Wesley Yang, a very thorough and candid article published in New York Magazine last year on the unique challenges of young Asian-American professionals in all realms of life (why it's so long).

In the end, I agree with the author's personal opinion that it is not necessary to apologize - for being too quiet, too loud, for imposing, withdrawing, for being both Asian and American. The most complimentary thing anyone ever said to me was that I was like a spider: quiet, patient, and ready to make my kill. Okay, sure.

2 comments:

  1. i got that in high school a lot! "silent but deadly"

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel like reading or watching stories about people who i relate to in subtle ways that don't get enough attention (be it introversion, minority status, insecurity, "weaknesses") is so good for my soul! i understand myself better, am more compassionate, and feel more connected

    ReplyDelete